Dogs are great pets because they are very versatile animals. Different breeds of dogs are designed for various purposes. While some breeds like husky Pomeranian mix are more suitable as lap dogs, there are also breeds that are great as exercise or workout companions. In fact, you will be amazed at the wide range of physical activities that you can do with these animals. And these activities offer good health for both you and your pet.
Here are some of the popular options for activities you can do with dogs:
- Walking – Walking is not a very strenuous activity, making it suitable for most if not all breeds of dogs including lap dogs. Walking can be a good exercise for you and your dog. You could take your pet for a walk before going to work daily or anytime during the week when you are free. Before taking your dog for a walk, remember to always observe safety precautions like putting your dog on a leash so that you can have better control of it. Your dog should also wear a collar tag for identification. And don’t forget to bring water and poop bag for picking up its messes.
- Running – Some breeds are not only suitable for walking but also for running. Among these breeds are terriers, Goldendoodles and Weimaraners, which are good for long and steady runs. With proper training, they can be great runners, running 10 miles or more. Breeds like Greyhound, Beagles, Pitbull, Labrador and Golden Retriever are also excellent runners but they can only take shorter distances.
When running with your dog, its breed is not the only consideration. You should also consider its age because younger dogs should not be taken for long runs because their bones may not yet be fully developed, putting them more at risk of bone problems if you force them to run.
- Swimming – If you have a dog that loves water, swimming with it can be a great activity. One of the breeds known to be great swimmers is the Irish Water Spaniel. Though any breed will do because dogs are natural swimmers. In additions, dogs with joint problems can benefit a lot from swimming. But if your dog is not comfortable with being in water, don’t force it.
- Agility training – Obstacle courses are also a fun activity to do with dogs. This activity may involve running, crawling and jumping which could help develop their mental and physical development. As for you, it is also a good training especially if you are involved in sports or even self-defense training. Obstacle courses can help you to stay focused and be more flexible, which are necessary in self-defense training.
- Other activities – Slow bike riding, rollerskating or rollerblading, and cross-country skiing are other activities you could do with your dog. Recently, a new kind of activity is increasingly becoming popular among dog owners. It is doga, which is a combination of dogs and yoga. Basically, doga involves doing yoga poses with your dog.
Before taking your pet for a certain kind of activity, it is best to consult your veterinarian first for advice. This is necessary because there are breeds that may not be suitable for some types of activity. Some activities would also not be suitable or advisable if your dog has certain health conditions.